Today we look at eating a healthy diet.
It is important to remember that diet and proper nutrition are vital tools in the fight against colorectal cancer. Cancer Care Ontario supports eating a healthy diet for both prevention and treatment.
In general, dietary recommendations include consuming less saturated fat and salt and eating a variety of colourful fruits, and vegetables rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Here are some healthy eating tips to get you started:
- Eat plenty of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables
- Eat fresh fish 1-3 times per week
- Limit consumption of red meat
- Choose beans, lentils and soy as meat alternatives
- Avoid excess salt and saturated fats
- Choose grain products that are low in fat, sugar and salt
- Choose low fat milk or milk products
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Drink plenty of water
We challenge you to keep a food journal and track your eating habits. Remember that embracing healthy eating habits can allow you to take colorectal cancer prevention into your own hands.