During difficult or busy times, it is important to remember to prioritize your mental and physical health.
One of the best ways to ensure that you are taking care of yourself is by practicing self-care. Incorporating healthy self-care practices into your routine can have lasting positive effects on your mental and physical health.
What is self-care?
Let’s start with what self-care is not. Self-care is not indulgent or selfish. Self-care is the practice of taking care of yourself so that you can experience good health and general well-being. It is the intentional act of tuning into your physical and mental needs and meeting those needs.
The positive effects of self-care
Once you start practicing self-care you will start to notice an improvement in your overall mood and sense of well-being. Self-care can positively impact your body by:
- Lowering your anxiety levels as well as your stress hormone cortisol.
- Triggering the relaxation response which occurs when the body no longer perceives it is in danger. This allows your autonomic nervous system to return to normal.
- Improving your cognitive function by helping with your focus and concentration.
- Generating soothing feelings.
- Providing you with a mental break.
Ways to practice self-care
Self-care includes checking in with yourself and asking yourself how you’re doing and what your body is needing. Try setting time for yourself a few times a week to practice some of the following self-care strategies:
- Practicing breathing exercises
- Reading a book
- Playing a board game or doing a puzzle
- Listening to your favourite album
- Taking a long walk
- Spending time in nature
- Doing a yoga session
- Taking a nice, warm bath
Start your self-care journey today
For those who may experience physical difficulty, we at Seniors for Seniors can join you on your self-care journey. Our trusted senior companions can be with you while you take your daily walks, do your favourite puzzle, tend to your garden, or while you do an online yoga session. The options are limitless with our drop-in companion services. We can cater our services to suit your self-care needs.
Call your local branch or 1.844.422.7399 to find out more information about how we can partner with you on your self-care journey.