Today we look at exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight.
Cancer Care Ontario suggests that physical activity and a healthy weight can help reduce your risk of colorectal cancer.
Here are some tips for improving your physical activity:
- Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise per day
- Take the stairs instead of an escalator/elevator
- Walk or jog on the spot while watching television
- Take pets/children for walks or walk with a friend
- Walk places instead of driving whenever possible
Here are some tips for maintaining a healthy weight:
- Combine a healthy diet with daily exercise
- If you need to lose weight, ask your doctor about healthy ways to achieve your goal
- Aim to lose weight gradually by increasing the amount of exercise you get while reducing the number of calories you eat.
Remember that exercise doesn’t have to feel like work and can be the first step in preventing colorectal cancer in you and your loved ones.