You have probably heard about different ways to take care of your body but what about how to take care of your mind?
Mental health affects the way we think and feel about ourselves and the world around us. This blog post from Here to Help BC provides 5 tips to follow for good mental health:
1. Take care of your body
Food is our fuel. It gives us important nutrients that help our bodies work. Research shows that the food we eat is a big part of mental health.
Exercise is good for your body. But did you know that it is also good for mental health? Here are a few ways exercise can help:
- It helps us cope with stress.
- It lowers anxiety.
- It lifts our mood and boosts our energy,
- It helps us sleep well.
Get enough sleep - Sleep has a huge effect on mental health. When we get enough sleep, it is easier to cope with stress, handle problems, concentrate, think positively and remember things. The exact amount of sleep you need is based on your own body.
2. Practice healthy thinking
Good mental health does not mean that we only ever have happy thoughts. Sad or upsetting things are part of life. Problems are also part of life. Good mental health means looking at the situation for what it really is.
- Watch for thinking traps - Sometimes, we think that something is bad, even when it is not true. These thoughts are sometimes called “thinking traps.” They are traps because they are easy to fall into and can get us stuck and feeling bad. Some common thinking traps include thinking bad things always happen to you, focusing on the negative part of a situation and jumping to conclusions.
- Solve problems - We face problems every day. We can fix some problems easily, but other problems are not as easy to solve. When we do not take action, stress can build up until we do not know what to do next.
3. Slow down
We all need to take time to slow down and relax. It is a big part of managing stress and enjoying our lives. When we do not take time to slow down, stresses can add up until we feel too overwhelmed to do anything. How you relax is up to you. Yoga, meditation, tai chi and breathing exercises are popular activities. Other people relax by reading, doing art, exercising, spending time in nature or playing with pets.
4. Have fun!
Doing things we enjoy is good for our health. It helps us feel refreshed and helps us feel good about ourselves. Then it is easier to cope with stress and other problems. When we feel sad or worried, we often stop doing the little things that make us happy. This makes us feel worse. Make a list of the things you can do each day that make you happy. Then give yourself time for these activities.
5. Reach out
The people in our lives are a big part of our own mental health. We help each other out, share the good times, and learn from each other.
- Connect with others - Social networks are a big part of our overall mental health.
- Help others - Helping others helps us feel good about ourselves. I
- Get help when you need it -To stay healthy, we need to find help when we start to feel unwell. The same is true for mental health. Mental health problems are easier to care for when they are caught quickly. If you are feeling unwell and nothing seems to help, it is important to talk to your doctor or counsellor.
What tips do you use for maintaining positive mental health? Share them with us on Twitter @Spectrum_HC!